Are your settings refusing to save? WELL NO LONGER! Here is how to fix it. I will also throw in how I capped my FPS while using this fix, just as a bonus.
This was all done on and for Windows 10.
I did this for Tribes of the East so the instructions will use the Tribes of the East file locations. The standard HoMM and HoF locations should be be very similar, in the My Games folder of Documents.
- 1. Go to C:\Users\<Your Username>\Documents\My Games\Heroes of Might and Magic V – Tribes of the East\Profiles
- 2. Delete “global.cfg”, “input.cfg”, and “user.cfg” in the Profiles folder and any of its sub-directories. (NOTE) You probably have to delete the profiles themselves, but these contain save data, so back up the “Saves” inside each profile folder before doing so.
- 3. Right click the game in steam hover over manage and click “Browse Local Files”.
- 4. Delete the “Profiles” folder.
- 5. Verify Game Files by right clicking the game in your library, click “Properties” then “Local Files” and finally “Verify integrity of game files…”.
- 6. Set the game to run as administrator by right clicking the H5_Game.exe in the “bin” folder of the game directory, clicking “Properties”, “Compatibility”, check “Run this program as administrator” and lastly “Apply”.
- 7. Run the game through steam.
I believe the issue comes from it writing damaged configuration files due to lacking the proper permissions. So you need to delete the old files and grant it admin rights before it writes new files, otherwise it will just keep trying to write into a damaged file that can’t save the settings changes.
BONUS: How to Cap FPS
Because this fix requires giving the game Administrator rights, your game is now under the false impression that it is in charge and will refuse to obey your FPS capper.
For me, this included Rivatuner and even Radeon Software (but that isn’t really a surprise Radeon Software is awful.)
The fix for this is to not use Radeon Software, and instead give Admin permission to Rivatuner (or your other third party FPS capper) so that it can once again exert its will over your game.
I hope you enjoy the How To Fix Settings Refusing to Save – Heroes of Might & Magic V guide. This is all for now! If you have something to add to this guide or forget to add some information, please let us know via comment! We check each comment manually!
- All Heroes of Might & Magic V Posts List